If you cannot find a plant that you want in the metro area of Birmingham, most folks start looking online or in plant catalogs mailed to your home. One thing is for sure: all mail order companies are not the same. Here is a list of the ones I like and use when I am looking for something for my garden that is unique or not available in the metro area. You can google any of the names, and they have great online catalogs. Some will send you their catalog if you request one.
- Hauser’s Superior View Plant Farms – an excellent source for a limited selection of annuals, perennials, and biennials. They send their plant bare root, and I think they sent me the finest foxgloves I have ever planted.
- Plant Delights – this North Carolina nursery has some of the most unique plants that I have ever seen. Great plant information, and while they have lots of woody ornamental and perennials, they also have a host of almost every type of ornamental plant. They’re a very trusted and great source for plants.
- Brent and Becky’s Bulbs – best selection of bulbs of any catalogue I have seen anywhere. Located in Virginia, they have lots of bulb types for both summer and spring flowering. They have great “end of the season” sale of what is left. They have very common and unique bulbs and great quality.
- B & D Lilies – this is where I buy lilies for my garden. You won’t be disappointed with the size of the bulbs you receive. They also have other perennials, but I have only bought lilies from them.
- Gilbert H. Wild & Son – very old peony growing company, and if I want peony roots, this is where I order them. They have some very unique tree peonies, but they are a challenge to grow in Birmingham.
- Nurseries Caroliniana – a super nursery that has a good retail location. The owner and I have known each other for many years, and like the Plant Delights owner, searches for unique new plants. They have good quality plants always.
- Woodlanders – a woody plant nursery that really looks for unique plants and natives. They have good descriptions in the catalog. They have a certain period each year when they ship plants, so you need to find out exact dates from the catalog.
- Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds – this is where you can buy unique vegetable and flower seeds, especially heirloom varieties. Their prices are reasonable, and the quality is first rate.
- Tomato Growers Supply Company – fine source of all types of tomato seeds and pepper seeds. This is a great company that is very focused on only tomatoes and peppers.
- Green Nurseries – an Alabama nursery that specializes in camellias first, and a few winter flowering and unique plants. This is where I buy camellias I cannot find locally. They are located on the Eastern Shore.
All the above mail order/online nurseries I have ordered from, and know many of the owners personally. I have no problem recommending them to you.