Today I tackled my yearly pruning of the George Tabor azaleas. These are planted too close to the woodwork and in a year grow up over the windows. I wait until they are finished blooming, usually the first of May.
Rather than shearing them into a smooth mass, I reach inside and remove the branches that are too tall, trying to make my cuts at a juncture with another limb. I keep at it until I have cut back the shrubs to a more appropriate size.
I also will loosen all those branches that have rooted in the leaf litter, and remove them.
When I am through, I have gotten the plant material off the wooden siding, and my azaleas are in good shape until this time next year.